Call the Lawyer Referral Service of the Westmoreland Bar Association.

Call Now: 724-834-8490

Dispute with Your Lawyer

How do you solve legal fee disputes with your lawyer?

If you have a fee dispute with your lawyer, you may want to consider filing a complaint with the Fee Dispute Committee of the Westmoreland Bar Association. If you wish to file, you will need to agree to attend an informal conference before a WBA Fee Dispute Panel, where your attorney will also be asked to be in attendance.

The Fee Dispute Committee conducts hearings on complaints initiated by clients of lawyers on Westmoreland County matters, or Westmoreland County lawyers, to determine whether those attorneys have charged reasonable fees. The Committee, comprised of attorneys and non-attorneys, has been instrumental in resolving disagreements between attorneys and clients that would have otherwise resulted in expensive and time-consuming litigation.

How do you file a complaint?

Under no circumstances should you feel it necessary to continue to be represented by a lawyer who you are dissatisfied with, but don't act hastily. Often, a conference with the lawyer can ease your concerns. He or she may not be aware of your dissatisfaction. It is always your choice about which lawyer you want to represent you. And note: a dismissed lawyer may be entitled to a fee for services actually rendered.

Should you decide to discontinue using your lawyer, that lawyer has certain obligations and duties to you such as returning all documents and papers in possession, filing the necessary withdrawal stipulations with the court and helping your new lawyer become familiar with the case.

If you find or suspect a lawyer's conduct to be unethical, you have the right to file a complaint with the attorney disciplinary authorities, the Office of Disciplinary Counsel, District IV, at 412.565.3173.

Complaint forms can be obtained online here: Disciplinary Board Complaint Forms»